Sunday, February 15, 2009

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Raisin Bread

This dark rich, Whole Wheat Cinnamon Raisin Bread is delicious! Try it for breakfast, either plain or toasted. The bread can be made completely in the bread machine or, make the dough in the bread machine, then transfer the dough to loaf pans for the final rising, and bake them in the conventional oven.

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Raisin Bread Recipe
Recipe from Linda Rehberg's and Lois Conway's
The Bread Machine Magic Book of Helpful Hints

Makes: 1 1/2 pound loaf in bread machine



Note: If you have a machine with a regular baking cycle of under 3 hours, you may need to reduce the amount of butter by half or switch to the Whole Wheat cycle if you find it didn't rise well the first time.

Ingredients:

  • 7/8 to 1 cup + 1 tablespoon Buttermilk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/3 cup Butter or Margarine
  • 3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 1/2 cups Bread Flour
  • 3 tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten (optional) I didn't use the vital wheat gluten -- we'll see how well it works without it.
  • 2/3 cups Raisins
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast

 

Directions:

Place all ingredients in bread pan, using the least amount of liquid listed in the recipe. Select Medium Crust setting and press Start.

Observe the dough as it kneads. After 5 to 10 minutes, if it appears dry and stiff or if your machine sounds as if its straining to knead it, add more liquid 1 tablespoon at a time until dough forms a smooth, soft, pliable ball that is slightly tacky to the touch.

I checked the dough and the amount of liquid (7/3 cup + 1 tablespoon) was perfect for my bread machine. I had to scrape the sides a few times to help the machine along, but it didn't need any additional liquid.



This cinnamon bread smells delightful while it's baking. It fills the house with a wonderful aroma. I can't wait for it to finish baking. Although I'm going to try and wait until tomorrow morning to eat some. The only way that's going to work is if I go over to my friend's house and leave the cinnamon bread at home. I'm bringing him some freshly-baked sourdough bread so he won't feel slighted.

After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on wire rack, and allow to cool 1 hour before slicing.



I couldn’t wait to try this bread for toast in the morning so I had a slice when I got home. It was really good!

While I was waiting for the bread to finish baking, my oldest son and his friend walked in the door. They both said "Mmmmm ... what's that smell? See, I told you it smells yummy. Although they both turned there noses up when I said it was whole wheat. Oh well! I guess I don't have to worry about having to share my breakfast bread with them. My youngest son will probably eat it. He runs track so he likes to eat healthy stuff - most of the time.



Happy Baking!
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

i'am author of old country buffet coupons
that give mcdonalds coupons
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from 
banana nut bread paula deen
almond roca

Popular Posts