Monday, October 19, 2009

Making Jam: Pear & Pineapple Jam

A few weeks ago, I saw this delightful-looking Pear & Pineapple Jam on Frieda's Lovin' from the Oven blog. Frieda is one of the bread-bakers' in the BBA Challenge and makes wonderful breads and jam (among other things). This jam sounded so crisp and delicious, I just had to try it. When I was finally ready to make the jam, I couldn't find any local pears so I decided just to make it with pears I got from the grocery store. The pears tasted great!  In fact, I had to keep my youngest son from eating all of them before I could make the jam.  Fortunately, I succeeded.  Then, I bought him some more just to eat.

This jam recipe is so easy!  I will definitely be making it again and again.  Jams make great gifts.  I've canned some jam in smaller jars so I can give away an assortment as Christmas gifts.  My family has already let it be known they want to try (all) the different jams I've been making.  That's the good thing about families. You can always count on them to try it and to let you know if they don't like it of course. :)




Pear & Pineapple Jam Recipe

Makes: 7 half pints or a combination of 8oz and 4oz jars
(recipe can be doubled)

Recipe originally from this blog  http://pantryeats.blogspot.com/2009/09/pineapple-pear-jam.html




 

Ingredients:

  • 4 Cups of pears peeled and cored and mashed to make 3 cups
  • 10 oz of crushed pineapple (1/2 a 20 oz can)
  • 1 1/2 Tbs lemon juice
  • 1 package of fruit pectin
  • 4 1/2 cups of sugar

Directions:


Prepare and sterilize jars and jar rings. Keep jars warm in boiling hot water or on the Heated dry setting of your dishwasher until ready to use. Although the dishwasher is convenient for washing and sterilizing the jars, I find it easier to wash them, then sterilize them in the water-bath canner and let them sit until ready to use.  Keep the lids in hot (not boiling) water to prepare the seals.

Peel, core and cut up the pears.  I used my handy pear corer to do the job.  Definitely saved some time.  This is what 4 cups of chopped pears looks like if you're wondering.




Mash pears.  I used my potato masher to mash the pears.  They were ripe so it was really easy and didn't take that long.  Pour fruit (crushed pears and undrained crushed pineapple) into a 6 or 8 quart saucepan.



Gradually stir in pectin over high heat. Bring fruit to full boil that cannot be stirred down.  Stir constantly.




Add entire amount of sugar all at once and stir to dissolve. Return to a full rolling boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Skim foam from top. I didn't have foam because I added a pat of butter while it was boiling to reduce the foam.

 



Ladle into hot jars and fill 1/8 inch from the top.  Carefully place lids and tighten rings.



Process in a water bath canner for 5 minutes.  If you live in a higher altitude, refer to the instructions on the National Center for Home Preservation site to determine how long to process the jars.

Remove the processed jars with the jar lifter and place them on a baking sheet.  Let them cool down for 12 hours overnight.  Make sure the jars seal.  You should hear the lids pop when they're sealed properly.  If any of the jars don't seal, put them in the refrigerator or freezer.  The jelly jars I use can be placed in the freezer (after they cool down of course).

Here are the beautiful sealed jars of pear pineapple jam.  They are ready to be stored (and given away at the appropriate time).





Canning Resources:
 
Here are some of the sites I've been using as a reference in my canning adventures.  You might enjoy them as well:
 
I also enjoying using the resources in the book: Keeping The Harvest: Discover the Homegrown Goodness of Putting Up Your Own Fruits, Vegetables & Herbs by Nancy Chioff & Gretchen Mead.
 
Here are some delicious breads that would go well with this jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i'am author of old country buffet coupons
that give mcdonalds coupons
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from 
banana nut bread paula deen
almond roca

Popular Posts