Monday, November 16, 2009

Making Jam: Cranapple Butter

This Cranapple Butter is the perfect spread to go with delicious Thanksgiving dinner rolls. I found this recipe after I made and posted about the other Apple Butter a few weeks ago.  It's from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe sounded so festive, I just had to try it.

My family loves my homemade yeast rolls so I'm excited about serving them with this apple butter.  As it turns out, I'll be having a few more guests for Thanksgiving dinner this year so it's a good thing I've been making all of these jams, preserves and butters.


 
If you've been reading my blog recently, then you know that I've been in a canning frenzy for the past several months.  I was a little sad to think I'd have to wait until next summer to start canning again.

Click for tigress can jam food blog challenge Well, I've found the solution, it's a new challenge - just what I need, right?  I'm excited about this one!  It's a monthly canning challenge, called tigress' can jam that starts January 1, 2010.  We'll be canning in-season fruits and vegetables every month for 12 months.  You can join too by clicking on the button to the left.  You have until December 22nd to sign up.  Come on...it'll be fun!


Cranapple Butter
Makes: About nine 8-ounce jars or four to five pint jars



 

Ingredients:

  • 6 lbs apples, cored, peeled and chopped (I used a combination of green Mutsu and red Cameo apples)
  • 8 cups cranberry juice cocktail
  • 4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

 

Directions:

In a large pot, combine apples and cranberry juice cocktail. Bring to a boil over medium-heat.  Boil, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft, about 15 minutes.




Working in batches, transfer apple mixture to a food mill or a food processor fitted with a metal blade and puree just until a uniform texture is achieved.  This time, I used my new handy-dandy food mill.  It made easy work of this.




In a clean large - I mean very large - stainless steel saucepan, combine apple puree, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Boil, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and holds its shape on a spoon.  This takes awhile.

You will definitely want to use a large pot for this so the butter doesn't splatter everywhere.  Believe me, I learned the hard way the last time a made apple butter.  It's a mess to clean up!




Prepare canner, jars and lids while the butter is cooking. Once the butter holds it shape on the spoon, ladle the hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Remove the air bubbles, and adjust the headspace, if necessary, by adding hot butter.  Wipe rim and center lid on jar.  Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.




Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water.   Bring to boil and process for 10 minuets.  I processed mine for 15 minutes because Atlanta's altitude is a little higher than 1,000 feet.  If you live in a higher altitude or need more detailed instructions on water-bath canning, please refer to the instructions on the National Center for Home Preservation site.




Remove canner lid and wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.



This is what the cranapple butter looks like in the jar.  I would open it and give you a peek but I'm saving it for Thanksgiving.  Sorry!  It tasted really good on the spoon though!


 

Happy Canning & Baking!
Cathy

In addition to the Ball Book on Canning, I've been using the following sites as a reference in my canning adventures.  You might enjoy them as well:
 
I also enjoy using the resources in the book: Keeping The Harvest: Discover the Homegrown Goodness of Putting Up Your Own Fruits, Vegetables & Herbs by Nancy Chioff & Gretchen Mead.


Here are some delicious breads that would go well with this jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i'am author of old country buffet coupons
that give mcdonalds coupons
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from 
banana nut bread paula deen
almond roca

Popular Posts